All by Sally Sapega and Rebecca Carovillano
For two years following the 1950 fire, the library occupied temporary quarters in the former Swarthmore Telephone Exchange (also called the “old Bell Building”) at 215 Harvard Avenue. Once again, the community rallied to support the library, with donations of books pouring in from private citizens, Swarthmore College, and many other institutions. In 1952, the librarians’ hopes were fulfilled when the library re-opened in its spacious quarters in the newly constructed Borough Hall.
When the Swarthmore Public Library officially opened its doors on May 17, 1929, the concept of a community library was still somewhat uncommon. In Swarthmore, though, the idea to start a library had been brewing for at least a year, thanks to several groups of forward-thinking women. In 1928, one group opened a children’s library. A small lending library followed, set up by — and for — the Women’s Club of Swarthmore. By the end of 1928, the Swarthmore Public Library Association was formed.